Monday, May 9, 2011

Chicken Soup for the Soul

Well, not really for the soul, but it feels like it.  Today I had to work until 7:00 so I made a lovely crock pot stand by, chicken soup.  Tonights chicken soup was really a left over mishmash of vegetables.  10 medium sized carrots, 5-6 green onions, a quarter of a head of cabbage, about a half a bunch of celery and a few bigger radishes.

Last night I cut all the veggies and put them in the fridge.  Then this morning I placed about a 2 1/2 pound chicken in the bottom of the crock pot then threw the veggies on the top with salt and pepper and about 4-5 sprigs of fresh rosemary.  I then put in 4 cups or a whole box of chicken broth followed by about 4 cups of water and a little more salt and pepper.  I turned the crock pot on low at about 8:30 this morning.

When I got home a little after 7:30 I took the chicken out and de-boned it.  It is always a little bit of a feat to get the chicken out and not leave bones in the pot.  Since the chicken falls right off the bone some of the little bones like to stay in the pot.  Keep digging and you will find them all.  Place the crock pot on warm at this point because there should be no more cooking to be done.  While the chicken is cooling for deboning with your hands throw in a package of wheat flour egg noodles.  Add some more salt and pepper to taste.  Place the chicken back in the pot and serve.  We always add more salt and pepper when serving.  It may seem like there is a lot of salt and pepper in there, but I never put a lot in.  I always put small portions and then add as needed.  We grind both our salt and pepper so I think you do not get as much out without a significant amount of work.

Rating-8- What would have made it better?  More carrots!!!  A little too much rosemary according to my husband, but I did not think this was the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment